Tuesday, May 27, 2008

High time but low interest...

The title this time around is bid odd as anyone will agree, so maybe I should explain it first. It's been over a month now that I have posted anything, and as such it's high time that I made a post, what with all the things happening all around. But then of late I am lacking the drive to make a post. Not that I don't have time, I do...quite a lot of it actually. Just that I am not getting encouragement from any source. I had inflicted the blogging bug on my friend Manas, but he went cold after just two posts. If only he would be regular I would find it easier to be regular myself. Due to some personal reasons I had delinked this blog from my orkut profile, but it's there again just in case some one is interested. At least there is a friend who used to go through my posts although never left any comments, I just hope he will go one better this time(leave a comment). So there is the explanation for choosing a strange title!!
There has been a lot happening all over the world- tragedy, big business, cricket, politics to say a few. I am not yet prepared to take all of them up today, this is just a preparatory post, to get in the groove again.
Saying so, I can't leave without writing a few words about the tragedy that struck two of our neighbours Myanmar and China. Different kinds of disasters but lots of lives were lost all the same. Myanmar was struck by a cyclone with a beautiful name "Nargis", but then as in life many times beauty can be deadly. Countless number of people lost their lives, and the whole matter was more complicated by the military junta ruling there not allowing foreign aid workers to visit the affected areas. Reports suggested their own disaster management efforts were a disaster in itself, of late I think they have allowed foreign aid workers inside...hope affected people get help soon!!
On the other hand there was a huge earthquake that struck China, causing not only loss of human lives but millions of dollars in losses to business'. Foreign aid has started flowing in, even India playing it's part by giving aid. The trauma is far from over for the affected people, what with big aftershocks being reported.
While on this topic I can't but mention an incident that occurred out here in Ranchi. Late one night, around 2am, while I was sleeping soundly, I was woken up by the shouting of our neighbours. On awaking I learnt that an earthquake is supposed to be coming to hit us!!...most outrageous piece of balderdash that I have heard in sometime. Well the last time I heard such kind of "news", was surprisingly again in the middle of the night few months ago. And as these things go, the events played out the same way as they did this time around..."an earthquake was coming", we were told. I must say the understanding of science in common people leaves much to be desired in India...or maybe they can't help being hopelessly naive...I would leave you with this thought. Hope next time will come soon.

No comments: